Comments Off on Waukomis woman pleads guilty to contributing to death of her daughter

STILLWATER— A Waukomis woman pleaded guilty Friday to contributing to the death of her 15-year-old daughter, who overdosed while using methamphetamine with her mother at a family reunion last summer.

Linda Tucker had 10 times the lethal dose of the drug in her system when she died, a state medical examiner reported. Authorities said she had taken the drug with her mother, older brother and her mother’s boyfriend. She lay unresponsive in the back seat of a vehicle for several hours before her mother went for help, but it was too late.

Doris Sherrane Rigsby, 34, was convicted in Payne County District Court of encouraging a minor to commit a drug crime. She was sentenced to 10 years in prison and given a consecutive 10-year suspended prison sentence where she will be under the supervision of the state Corrections Department.

Jeffery Alan Phillips, 30, pleaded guilty Friday to unlawful delivery of a controlled drug for mixing the drug that killed Tucker. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Calls to their attorneys were not returned.

Initial charges

Both were initially charged with first-degree murder, along with Heather Lynn Gaddis, 30, of Tulsa. Gaddis was accused of selling the drug to Tucker’s brother. Prosecutors in March dropped her from their case, and reduced charges against her co-defendants.

Tucker’s brother, Joseph Tucker, 17, was never charged, and testified against his mother during a preliminary hearing.

Family members said Rigsby’s five children were raised by her stepmother, Linda Tucker, until the woman died of cancer in 2007. Tucker, for whom the 15-year-old was named after, was a police detective with the Cushing Police Department.

Upon the elder Tucker’s death, the children went to live with Rigsby. During that period, child welfare services were contacted nine times with claims Rigsby was using drugs and neglecting the children, according an Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth report.

The complaints were investigated, but there was never an effort to remove the children from Rigsby’s care, said Sheree Powell, spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services.

She said there were no substantiated allegations of abuse or neglect.

Comments are closed.