8-hour stand-off ends peacefully

Posted: 5th July 2011 by Doc in Uncategorized
Comments Off on 8-hour stand-off ends peacefully

LAUREL — A 62-year-old Jones County man is behind bars today following an eight hour stand-off with law enforcement officials that began shortly after 5 p.m. Friday.

Maj. Don Scott, chief investigator for the Criminal Investigative Division of the Jones County Sheriff’s Department, said Kenneth Dale Richardson was taken into custody about 1 a.m. Saturday following a family disturbance at a residence in the 1900 block of Monroe Drive in southwest Jones County.

Scott, who was the primary negotiator in the incident, said Richardson “threatened to do himself harm and threatened to harm law officials.

“We utilized our crisis negotiation team and SWAT (special weapons and tactic) team to handle the situation,” said Scott. “After eight hours of negotiation, I am totally wiped out.”

A number of other agencies assisted the sheriff’s department during the incident. According to Jones County first responders and volunteer fire departments, EmServ Ambulance Service and Jones County Emergency Operations Center also responded.

“I am very thankful we were able to resolve this without anyone getting hurt,” said Sheriff Alex Hodge. “I am proud of the professional manner in which this incident was handled by deputies, first responders, EmServ, Emergency Operations Center and Volunteer Fire Department.

“We also appreciate the patience of the family and neighbors while we negotiated a safe end,” he said.

Scott said that sometime after the July 4th holiday, the sheriff’s department will consult with the District Attorney’s Office to determine what charges Richardson faces.

“We currently have him housed on the charge of assault, by threat, on a police officer; family disturbance; possession of methamphetamine and a felon in possession of fire arms,” said Scott.

According to the sheriff’s department website, Richardson was booked into the Jones County Adult Detention Facility Saturday at 3:05 a.m. His charges are listed as domestic violence, possession of methamphetamine, threatening the life of a police officer, and possession of a weapon by a felon.

When asked about Richardson’s previously felony charge, Hodge said all of Richardson’s charges will be determined Tuesday.

“He will remain in jail at least until then,” said Hodge.

The possession of a weapon by a felon charge alone carries a fine of up to $5,000 and/or up to 10 years in prison.


Comments are closed.