RUTHERFORD COUNTY, Tenn.-  A Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office deputy was hospitalized after suffering injuries related to a meth lab bust.

Officials said that Deputy Mark Gregory found a couple walking along Old Woodbury Highway about 10:15 p.m. Monday night. The couple told the Deputy that they had been in a home and later inside a van where people where manufacturing methamphetamine. While Deputy Gregory was transporting the couple to a safe location, they both began to suffer symptoms believed to be caused to methamphetamine fumes.

Another officer from the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office went to investigate the home the couple said they had come from they discovered that it lab was no longer there.

“It was said that the lab blew up and the two had become contaminated,” Sgt. Tom Bunch reported.

Further investigation by the Fields and the Felony Arrest Tactical Team and Narcotics Detectives discovered residue of a past methamphetamine lab.

“When contacted, the Special Enforcement Bureau who is trained in dismantling and disposing of methamphetamine, responded to Middle Tennessee Medical Center,” Mathis said. “Upon arrival, they observed the patrol car was contaminated. They took necessary precautions to decontaminate in hazardous material suits.”

Deputy Gregory also began to experience symptoms of poisoning by methamphetamine fumes after transporting the couple. All three were taken to Middle Tennessee Medical Center where they were treated and decontaminated.

Officers monitored the home where the meth lab had been located and later found two containers with the “shake and bake” method of making methamphetamine.

“We suited up second time and had members of our department who are trained in tactical entries to get in house safely,” Mathis said. “They cleared the house of immediate hazards, dangers and armed suspects.”

The home has since been quarantined.  Deputy Gregory and the couple have since been released from the hospital.

 

 

 

 

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19102562/sheriffs-office-deputy-injured-by-meth-lab-fumes