Comments Off on Homeless man charged for attempted rape of 11-year-old boy in Burien store bathroom – and possession of Meth

A homeless man accused of attacking an 11-year-old boy in a Burien grocery store bathroom was charged with Attempted Rape Second Degree Wednesday.

Andrew William Dempsey, 32, was also charged with one count of possession of methamphetamine and remains in jail on $1 million bail.

Homeless man charged for attempted rape of boy in Burien store bathroom
According to charging documents, the attack happened at the Albertsons on 1st Avenue South on September 29. The boy went to the men’s bathroom. As he left the bathroom stall, a white man grabbed him by the head and told him he was going to “kill him.”

The boy tried to get away and screamed for help. The man pushed the boy to the floor and told him to do what he wanted. He then placed the boy in a headlock and started dragging him to the big bathroom stall. The boy said his attacker was not wearing any pants or underwear and told him he was going to “kill him” about eight times.

The man let the boy go for a second, and the boy ran to the door and tried to escape. The suspect slammed the door on the boy’s left hand.

Witnesses heard the boy’s screams and went to the bathroom. They saw the boy’s fingers stuck in the bathroom door and asked what was going on. One witness said they saw the man’s pants down around his ankles and holding the boy in a bear hug. The man, later identified as Dempsey, released the boy, who ran out of the bathroom screaming the man was trying to kil him.

Store employees tried to detain Dempsey, but he resisted, biting one store employee in the arm. During the struggle, a plastic baggie containing what appeared to be rocks of methamphetamine fell out of Dempsey’s black bag.

Police arrived at the scene and took Dempsey into custody. Dempsey told police he had been homeless in Burien for a couple of years. He said he was in a bathroom stall by himself. When he was done, he opened the door and accidentally hitting the boy in the back. Dempsy said the boy was using the restroom and fell back onto him. That’s when the boy “freaked out” and began yelling. Dempsey said when he went to leave the bathroom, he was tackled by several men.

Police said the boy had scratches and red marks on his face, neck and shoulder and had a swollen finger. Deputies later tested rocks, which tested positive for methamphetamine.

Dempsey has been in trouble with the law before and was investigated last month for a random attack on a woman in Burien. Charges were never filed in that case.

Dempsey is scheduled to be arraigned on October 15.




Comments are closed.