LEONI TWP., MI – A 46-year-old man went to the hospital Sunday, Dec. 28, with burns suffered in what police said was methamphetamine-related spill or small explosion on Larch Drive.
The man had been allegedly cooking meth in the basement of his father’s house, burned his hands and sought his own medical treatment, Blackman-Leoni Township public safety Deputy Director Jon Johnston said. He went to Allegiance Health. From there, he was transferred to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor.
Johnston did not have an update on the man’s condition, but said his injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
A couple hours later, the man’s father arrived home, found remnants of meth production and called police shortly before 9 p.m.
Blackman-Leoni authorities contacted the Jackson Narcotics Enforcement Team, which handles meth lab clean-ups.
Officers found items used to make meth in the basement, said Michigan State Police Detective Lt. Dave Cook, commander of the team. He said officers spotted lithium batteries, sulfuric acid, Coleman fuel, lye and other evidence of meth creation. Burn marks and some charred remains made it clear there had been a fire.
The man’s 76-year-old father and another person were at the home, but they were not thought to be involved and were not arrested, Cook said.
Police likely will later ask the prosecutor’s office to charge the injured man, Cook and Johnston said.
The investigation, in its early stages, is continuing, Johnston said.
Members of the narcotics team cleaned up the components, which are taken to a secure container until they are hauled away for safe disposal.