Comments Off on Mom, Valerie Trujillo, discovers her Colorado Springs home is former Methamphetamine lab

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – A Colorado Springs woman discovered her home was the site of a former meth lab and blames the conditions of the apartment on her son’s close encounter with death.

Valerie Trujillo’s 7-week-old son Zeke was born with a cold. When he was 13 days old, he stopped breathing.  The incident made headlines after a Colorado Springs Police Officer gave him CPR and helped him stay alive while the ambulance was on its way.

When Zeke returned from the hospital, he continued to be sick. Trujillo and her three other sons also had health complications.

“As a mom, you know something is not right,” said Trujillo.

She was staying at Spruce Lodge on N. Nevada Avenue in Colorado Springs. Police had mentioned to her during Zeke’s rescue that they recognized the address. When she got home from the hospital, she researched on the internet.  Online records showed in 2005, police shut down a meth lab in her same apartment.

“It’s the last thing on your mind. Especially something from 2005 can still be affecting us this bad? It’s crazy,” said Trujillo.

Mike Van Dyke with Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment conducted a study on the lingering effects of a meth lab in a home.

“It could be realistic that contamination from a meth lab could stick around for several years if it was severely contaminated in the first place and it was never cleaned up,” said Van Dyke.

He said people who live in contaminated homes can display respiratory symptoms. He said children who play a lot on the ground and have a lot of hand-to-mouth contact can even display symptoms similar to those on meth.

“People who live in these homes after this has been done are essentially exposed to methamphetamine from carpets and walls in their homes,” said Van Dyke.

Spruce Lodge came under new ownership in November. The new owners told KRDO NewsChannel 13 they were not aware that one of their apartments was a former meth lab. They said the apartment is currently vacant and they do plan to clean it out before a new tenant moves in.

Trujillo had a message for the people who set up the lab in what would eventually become her home.

“A 13-day-old baby could have died because of a few dollars,” said Trujillo.

She and her family have relocated to a new home. She said their health is improving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.krdo.com/news/mom-discovers-home-is-former-meth-lab/30854120

 

Comments are closed.