Comments Off on Jamie Lynn Lantz, 33, and Joshua Earl Lantz, 37, charged with making Methamphetamine, child endangerment after explosion at InTown Suites motel in West Ashley

WEST ASHLEY, S.C. (WCIV) — A Charleston couple is charged with making meth and child endangerment after an explosion at an extended stay motel Wednesday night.7252676_G

Authorities confirm it was a “one pot” meth lab that exploded at the InTown Suites on Savannah Highway in West Ashley. Usually a “one pot meth lab” is meth making chemicals inside of a soda bottle.

Joshua Earl Lantz, 37, and Jamie Lynn Lantz, 33, are both charged with two counts of unlawful conduct towards a child, two counts of child endangerment, and manufacturing or distributing ice, crack or crank in the first degree. Joshua Lantz has an added charge of neglect of a child.

Josh Lantz was given a $500,000 bond Thursday afternoon, $100,000 for each charge. Jamie Lantz was also scheduled to appear, but was not present in bond court.

Residents said the explosion came from one of the upper floors of the building. Police confirmed it happened in the bathroom of room 337.

Justin Pierce, who was staying in the motel, said a manager knocked on his door and told him a meth lab had exploded. Pierce said he saw smoke billowing out of a room down the hallway, so he grabbed several personal items and left.7254631_G

According to the incident report, the guest in the adjacent room said he was watching TV when he felt the building shake and heard a loud noise as if something had hit the wall between the two rooms. He said he walked outside and saw a large amount of dark grey smoke filling the balcony in front of room 337. He said he heard someone say “Don’t call the cops” but he immediately dialed 911.

Police officials said one officer was taken to a nearby hospital after inhaling the chemicals in the motel room, but the officer is expected to be OK.

According to officials at the scene, there were two adults and two children in the room where the explosion originated.

The two children had taken shelter at their mother’s request in another guest’s room before they were taken away in an ambulance shortly before midnight. That guest lives in the hotel and knew the family living in room 337. Officials say the children were not hurt.

The guest said Jamie Lantz soon followed her children into the room. She was wearing only a shirt and underwear and reportedly said “the chemicals got me” and that her legs felt like they were on fire.

The Lantz’s were taken to the hospital. One officer was taken to Medical University Hospital for fume inhalation.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the residents and emergency crews working at the scene. Guests of the hotel were moved to Saint Andrews Middle School early Thursday morning. They were allowed to return to the hotel around 7:30 a.m.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28617898/explosion-at-west-ashley-motel-leads-to-evacuations-investigation

Comments are closed.