SHAMOKIN — Flames shot out of the second story of a home at 24 E. Sunbury St. Monday night, endangering a half dozen row homes in an address that was the sight of a inactive methamphetamine lab last week.
The second fire, which started just before 9 p.m., destroyed the interior of a trailer home on Vindale Avenue in the Montandon Trailer Park.
The mother and son who lived there were OK, but one of their two cats died in the fire.
In Shamokin, firefighters stood on neighboring rooftops and in buckets of aerial trucks to drench the home while thick black smoke filled the neighborhood.
Firefighters were ordered to evacuate the building at one point.
Police scanner said all residents were out of the building during initial emergency call.
An inactive methamphetamine lab was discovered last week at the same address, where Shamokin police tracked Joshua Reichenbach, 33, a wanted man who allegedly fled to the attic following a brief scuffle with a patrolman.
Seven used plastic bottles with chemical residue, open packs of cold medicine, lithium batteries and household cleaners were among the paraphernalia discovered inside the house. Those are components for the “one pot” cooking method to produce methamphetamine, according to Shamokin police.
Firefighters were still on the scene just past 10 p.m., a Northumberland County 911 dispatcher said.
Fire units from Milton, Lewisburg, Potts Grove and Turbot Township were called out for the 8:52 p.m. Montandon alarm, according to a Union County 911 dispatcher.
Firefighters still were on the scene of that fire at 10 p.m.