CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. – A Cherokee County home sits empty right now because the family that bought it found out it was toxic.
Tests show the home was previously a meth lab and Consumer Investigator Jim Strickland found out the law is of little help to the homebuyers, Hollis and Natalie Reece.
“We bid $10,000 over what they had it on the market for and we got it,” Natalie Reece told Strickland.
That was in June 2016. Renters had been evicted 6 months earlier.
Strickland asked Hollis Reece how many nights he and his family have spent in the house.
“Zero. None,” Reece replied.
The house sits vacant and tainted. Several trailers in the driveway hold the Reece’s belongings. They were about to move in when a next door neighbor, Kimberley Partain, warned them about frequent noxious odors emanating from the house.
“Whatever it was, it would burn your nose and your throat and your eyes and we would bring the kids inside,” Partain told Strickland. Strickland asked Partain if she had any suspicions as to what the smell was.
“That it could have been a meth lab or some kind of drug lab,” Partain said.
“We’ve spent like $1,700 on meth testing for this house to know that’s unsuitable to live in,” Hollis Reece said.