Comments Off on Exploding Methamphetamine lab sparked storage unit fire in Summit Township

SUMMIT TWP., MI – A meth lab gone haywire is believed to be what sparked a fire that destroyed 12 storage units last week, investigators say.

Fire crews and a Michigan State Police arson K9 sifting through the debris discovered a small meth lab that likely started the Feb. 15 blaze at Katchall Self Storage, 5710 S. Meridian Road, said Summit Township Fire Lt. Jim Warner.-8fe5c3690868cb07

Twelve storage units were destroyed in an early-morning blaze in Summit Township Wednesday.

The portable meth lab, hidden in a duffle bag inside one of the storage units, likely ignited the remaining contents of the storage unit and sparked the fire that quickly spread to adjacent units, Warner said.

Upon finding the meth lab, fire crews at the scene notified the Jackson Narcotics Enforcement Team (JNET) to begin clean up procedures and collect evidence for its investigation, Warner said.

Calls made to JNET were not immediately returned.

The 12 storage units, or half of one storage unit block, suffered significant smoke and fire damage in the blaze which started sometime before 5:50 a.m.

There were no injuries reported at the scene.

The Jackson Fire Department, Napoleon Township Fire Department, Liberty Township Fire Department and Columbia Township Fire Department assisted at the scene.


Comments are closed.