Comments Off on Methamphetamine lab explosion injures man, damages the Travelodge Motel in Adrian

ADRIAN — Charges are pending against the lone occupant of an Adrian motel room where a “one-potmethamphetamine lab exploded Saturday, damaging the motel and sending the room’s occupant to a hospital.

Fire and police personnel responded at 9:30 p.m. Saturday to the Travelodge Motel at 1575 W. Maumee St. after callers to 911 reported what sounded like gunshots being fired at that location, according to a news release issued Monday by the Region of the Irish Hills Narcotics Office (RIHNO).

Adrian police officers who arrived at the scene reported one of the motel rooms had suffered “major structural damage due to an explosion.”

Adrian Fire Chief Tim Bartenslager said upon arrival, firefighters found “an exterior wall was found blown out and glass covered the parking lot.”

He said the injured man was treated at the scene and then transported by Lenawee Community Ambulance to ProMedica Bixby Hospital while the firefighters on the scene provided standby coverage for the RIHNO team.

The man — the only occupant in the room — later was transported by medical helicopter to the University of Michigan Health System in Ann Arbor for treatment.

Guests in the adjacent hotel rooms were evacuated. Witnesses reported hearing a big explosion. One reported firefighters stripped the man of his clothes and washed him down.

RIHNO officers called to the scene by Adrian police confirmed the explosions heard were the result of a failed “one-pot” methamphetamine lab. Officers seized methamphetamine components and hazardous materials from the hotel room.

A one-pot meth lab is typically a 2-liter pop bottle filled with the ingredients for making meth. The ingredients are highly unstable when mixed and create hazardous materials.


Comments are closed.