The Meth Next Door

By Doc

Since this started this site, I have received many e-mails from people sharing their experiences with other people’s meth. By that I mean people who were sickened and had to move because they were living where meth was being cooked and were overcome by the toxic fumes that were produced during the manufacturing process.  Others have experienced various illnesses when traveling when they inadvertently stay overnight in a motel room where meth had been cooked or smoked.

This happens far too often, and people feel powerless to do anything about it. If they report the problem, they face potential retaliation from the people cooking the meth ‒ they don’t want to get caught.

And the authorities can’t be everywhere either.

So I decided to create this page. People can report their experiences here without fear of retribution.  Maybe if enough people speak up, the authorities will begin to take this problem more seriously.

You can post your experiences by adding a comment in the “Have Your Say” box below. You will have a voice!

 

If you are worried about your anonymity, just e-mail your experiences to me at meth.doc55@gmail.com and I will post it for you.

If you want me to include a city, state or region in your description of your experience living with other people’s meth, just let me know.

  1. Cora says:

    I know all about living near a cottage industry of meth labs, sorry to say. It seems to now be a way of life for many in the Rust Belt of America; the Midwest, in this case. Just sorry I had to experience it in a town that doesn’t know what to do about it.

    Up to a year and a half ago there were no fumes from hell every night of the week that make it difficult to breath, take an unknown toll on you physically, wake you up in the middle of the night like the nightmare that it is. When it began I lived in another house that now sits vacant. A beautiful old Victorian that no one could live in now because the people next door are still cooking meth night and day. Because of the way the houses were built, the meth vapors come in through the windows and circulate throughout that old house, making it impossible to take a breath of air that is not loaded with poison.

    So when this all began and I was trying to do something about stopping the fumes coming into the house. I did all the usual things; called the cops, wrote letters to the Mayor, the Sheriff, even called the fire department. Nada and nada. It’s worked out very handily for the meth cooks next door. They drove me out and there is an absentee landlord who hasn’t a clue about the extent of the damage they have done – and continue to do, to his property. The old woodwork has been saturated with meth fumes. Who knows what kind of hazardous waste has been dumped on the property. Isn’t it 6 lbs. of meth waste for every pound that’s made? It is truly bizarre, and a little scary. And the rest of the neighbors, who knows? Rarely talk with them and everyone has pretty much disappeared into their houses. Just thankful I don’t own one around here! Won’t be worth much once they’ve trashed the rest of the neighborhood.

    As for law enforcement and the “powers that be”, I would love to know what the real story is. But I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes here with drug enforcement or any other. So I will fill in the blanks. DE is not educated on new methods of cooking meth that make a meth lab easy to hide. Consequently, they don’t recognize what they’re looking at on a search. And I think the DE is only interested in the guys who are pulling down 100000 a day besides, not the “mom and pop” meth lab. I think they actually don’t care about it around here. Bigger fish to fry? Maybe. And maybe this has been going on for a lot longer than I realize.

    • KC says:

      Cora, I feel your pain. I, too, have experienced the unwanted intrusion of other peoples’ meth into my living space–not only one space, but multiple times–in a rental situation. At first it takes you a while to figure out what the heck those odd smells are and questioning why you feel so “off.” I had never heard of of methamphetamine before (this was before the television show ‘Breaking Bad’). Once I figured it out through extensive online searching of smell and symptom descriptions, my mind was opened to a world that, frankly, sometimes I wish I never knew. It’s been said that ignorance is bliss, and well, I see people in everyday life living nearby and driving through fumes that they might assume are just “city smells,” and I wish that I, too, had no idea of the toxicity around me.

      In my situation, I moved into an apartment that had been renovated extensively. I thought nothing of it beyond a need for the building to want to stay modern in the real estate world, but that was a naive assumption. New carpets, new cabinets, new counter tops, new fixtures, new refrigerator and stove could not mask what took place there for God knows how long before I moved in. As the winter set in and the windows became closed with the heater on, I found I had a hard time sleeping and my brain felt muddled. I was craving sugar a lot and felt that maybe I was diabetic because my eyes seemed blurry and irritated and I was urinating more frequently and feeling just exhausted during the day.

      As it turned out, I had bought into double trouble: Not only was the apartment I was living in a former meth lab, but my downstairs neighbor made meth everyday in any way he could, with the full participation of the building’s manager. It was a nightmare experience trying to explain something I knew little about to a manager who was there to gaslight (deny) me every step of the way.

      I finally got out of the lease, thankfully by going over his head to his boss who had no idea but who finally believed me after investigating all on his own and speaking with the police (who, it turned out, had tried to arrest this manager once before during an investigation with another case that involved a woman living across the street–and this was in a so-called “good” neighborhood!–but lacked enough evidence), but the hell was far from over: not understanding how chemical transfer works, I brought all if the belongings I could fit in my two vehicles and it ruined them. It didn’t matter how much you had the car professionally detailed; you would get dizzy driving it, even with the windows down, and a metallic taste presented in the mouth. This was replicated by many car service people. I ended up losing both my vehicles and everything I owned.

      Health wise, it was pretty scary, too. The week after I left that awful place after having lived there for only a few months, I experienced secondhand detox feelings and got the worst lung infection of my life. I believe it was my body’s attempt to clean my lungs out now that I was out of direct danger. When I coughed and used my hand to cover my mouth, what came out of my lungs left painful chemical burns on my hands.

      There was never any financial amends and there still are no laws on the books in my state to be able to protect consumers from meth labs in residential settings, both former and active. When you speak with the police, they tell you that they will look into it, but given how widespread the problem is that they simply don’t have the funds like they would like to. When you speak with lawyers they tell you that they can’t help unless someone dies or is seriously injured because of it. When you talk to friends and family who have (thankfully) never experienced it, they think you’re crazy and overreacting, but it’s a very real, painful, sickening phenomenon.

      You’re not alone!