NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) – They had to evacuate their rooms after a meth lab explosion. Now, people who live in the Travel Inn in Lebanon are facing another frightening experience. They say they’re sick from the chemicals.
“My daughters kept on asking me, ‘Mama, what’s that smell?’” said Sarah Hall. “I kept saying, ‘Baby, I don’t know.’ Then they started getting real raspy in the chest.”
Hall and her family have been living in a room just a few doors down from the explosion. They went to University Medical Center Saturday, one week after it happened.
“They gave me these papers and they said it was from the meth lab,” Hall said.
Dewey Merritt, who lives next door to the Halls, says his two children have been sick too.
“They inhaled exposure from the meth lab and that’s exactly what that doctor told me it was from,” he said.
The Tennessee Methamphetamine Task Force quarantined the room where the explosion happened and the rooms on either side. The Halls think more needs to be done.
“I think the meth task force needs to come out and look at all the rooms instead of their focus on just this one room,” said Patrick Hall, Sarah Hall’s brother. “Because, when the explosion happened, everything was exposed out into the air.”
Sunday afternoon, the Lebanon Police Department says no one had reported any sickness to them in regards to the explosion. They say a certified meth tech determined the areas that needed to be quarantined, but they say they need to know if people are sick. Police say knowing this information will help bring tougher charges in the investigation against the suspects.
Meanwhile, the hotel residents are blaming the hotel management for putting them in the rooms.
“The caution tape keeps getting moved further down,” Patrick Hall said. “They won’t move our room.”
“I’m mad about it because my children are in danger. My husband is in danger. My mom and dad’s in danger,” said Sarah Hall.
The Halls say they want to leave soon, but as of now, they have nowhere else to go.
Police say it is up to the hotel managers to have the quarantined areas cleaned and inspected before they can be deemed safe again.